Friday, January 30, 2009

Skills and Dispositions for the 21st Century

I was impressed with the Partnership for 21st Century Skills website at http://www.21stcenturyskills.org/ I liked the mission statement, which in summary stated: A collaboration of educator, businesses and government entities working together creating skill lists our children need for their future. I believe this is a very lofty concept. As I reviewed who the members of this organization were I thought their goal might be attainable. The site was very easy to move around; it had a number of PDF files that I could download for more information. The graphic designers did a professional job. I especially liked the graphic of the rainbow for the framework section.

Upon further exploration of the site my opinion sadly changed. I read through the different skills the authors felt students needed and my reaction was; When was the last time they had been in a classroom? The site breaks skills into 3 different subcategories: learning and innovation; Information, media, and technology; life and career skills. Within these categories there are different skills needed in order to be successful. Other than the information, media, and technology subcategory I believe those skills sets are embedded within our curriculum already. From my own experience, educators use the content they are teaching as a vehicle to drive the many skills needed such as: collaboration, critical thinking, and creativity.

Starting in 2002 the Partnership for 21st Century Skills have been working closely with 10 different States to meet the challenges outlined on this site for the 21st century student. The only problem I found was that there did not appear to be any follow up regarding the successes or challenges these States went through. The goals and innovative ideas are impressive but I could not locate a plan to implement them. I was pleased to note that the Partnership for 21st Century Skills did correlate their list of skills with the International Society for Technology in Education (ISTE).

I found the following quote on the ISTE site and it eloquently states how I want to instill these important skills to my students (Knezek, 2008).

"Teachers must become comfortable as co-learners with their students and with colleagues around the world. Today it is less about staying ahead and more about moving ahead as members of dynamic learning communities. The digital-age teaching professional must demonstrate a vision of technology infusion and develop the technology skills of others. These are the hallmarks of the new education leader."
—Don Knezek, ISTE CEO, 2008


References:
Knezek, D (2008). International Society for Technology in Education Retrieved January 24, 2009, from http://www.iste.org/AM/Template.cfm?Section=NETS

Partnership for 21st Century Skills. Retrieved January 24, 2009, from http://www.21stcenturyskills.org/

6 comments:

  1. Dawn,

    I agree many of the skills like collaboration, critical thinking, and creativity are already being taught in U.S. classrooms. However, I think the Partnership for 21st Century Skills organization is striving for a broader sense of global communication and collaboration, were students connect with real world companies and businesses outside the world of the classroom. I am not sure that is being accomplished on a broad scale basis within American schools, but if it were, it would prove to be of great advantage to student’s futures in the current job market.

    Just a thought

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dawn, Thank you for Don Knezek's quote and the reminder that we are "co-learners" and "members of dynamic learning communities" with our students as well as one another. I am a big believer that respecting and validating students, especially in the middle school age group within which I work, motivates many students who might otherwise be lost to us. Many troubled students will try hard for me, simply because I am one of very few adults who have truly respected them. HOWEVER, although encouraging expression and honoring opinions come easy to me, I must make a consious effort to ask advice from students, yet I have seen it work wonders! I appreciate the reminder.

    As for the 21st Century Skills site, I didn't find it that easy to navigate and appreciated reading Bonnie's and your thoughts. While many of us do teach skills such as collaboration, creativity and critical thinking, I wonder, truly what percentage of teachers do so. I teach in a school with 1200 students and about 65 teachers. Of those teachers, I have teamed with about 10. Of them, I suspect 7 incorporate these types of skills. Yet, we are a younger group, so I am not sure if I would be able to say the same for 70% of teachers, overall. Also, to what extent to they model and practice these skills. Sadly, we have no cohesive curriculum. As long as that is possible in schools, and teachers are more or less "free agents," the attempt to further awareness is necessary, in my opinion. How successful this organization is, though, I do not know...

    Eva Kaminski

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Bonnie and Eva,
    Thanks for stopping by and reading my opinion regarding the 21st Century site. Both of you made the same point regarding these skills being a global issue. That is a point my husband even made to me. Although I feel I incorporate these skills into my classroom I can't speak for other teachers. Having a site that reminds us of the skills our students need is important. Thanks for reminding me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have been extremely fortunate in being award a World Champion of Digital Literacy. Through this I have have had the opportunity to communicate, collaborate and convene about digital literacy and 21st Century Skills with people around the world. I can tell you this is a global issue! The heads of countries and businesses have been looking at solutions to address the lack of skills needed in the workplace.
    Businesses and some colleges are requiring validation of skills needed in the workplace. Johnson and Johnson are requiring employees to be trained and recieve validation of basic computer literacy skills.

    I am concerned if the AMerican Educational System does not change soon we will continue to fall further behind. Do you think the lack of these skills many be one of the causes of our recession?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry I did not add my name tot he last post
    Joy (Brenda)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Joy, Wow congrats on the award. I can only imagine how excited it would be to collaborate with others regarding digital literacy and the 21st century skills. I believe if global we do not change how we teach and include the different digital media that yes indeed we will continue to fall further and further behind. But I do believe there are pockets within the American Educational system that are teaching those skills and incorporating the technology. Is it enough to help keep us up with other Countries? Only time will tell.

    ReplyDelete