Saturday, April 17, 2010

Week 8 Reflection





EDUC-6715I-1 New and Emerging Technologies
Instructor: Jacqueline Derby







The world is filled with new and emerging technologies! Some of them may be beneficial while others may not. I believe educators need to keep up-to-date with new technology in order to provide students with a motivating and engaging environment. For educators to be successful the administration needs to provide technology training so teachers can utilize these powerful tools to enhance the classroom.

When students are not in school they are often “plugged” into some form of digital media. This is how they communicate, collaborate and entertain themselves. I think it is important for educators to tap into what motivates students and use these 21st century tools to enhance the learning environment. Online learning modules, MUVEs and digital games all have great potential to influences and transform the traditional classroom. After creating my own lesson plan, using MUVE as the learning catalyst, I discovered many benefits. The benefits include; cognitive strategies, risk-taking opportunities, collaboration and oral and written communication. These are important skills for our children to learn and be proficient in so they can be successful in their learning experiences.

I consider myself a forward thinking teacher and a leader in adopting different technologies. I know the process of identifying and researching educational technology can be long. It is also human nature to resist any type of change. In order to educate my colleagues I will continue learning about Web 2.0 tools and the amazing opportunities they can provide to the classroom. I will create a team to help motivate and inspire my peers. Our team will develop a flexible plan. Along our technology journey we will celebrate the small successes. Finally, I learned that a good education starts with a good teacher and technology is a tool that enhances the experience. It does not always have to be the newest and greatest application as long as the students are using the tool that will best serves their needs.

Resources

Laureate Education, Inc. (Producer). (2008). Program five. Change [Motion picture]. New and Emerging Technologies. Baltimore: Author.


No comments:

Post a Comment